CBC Happenings

What's happening at Collinsville Baptist Church and in our community.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

CBC Happenings

CBC Happenings

Tuesday, May 16 The Jordan River

Late this afternoon I went swimming in the Sea of Galilee, and it was not my best experience of the day in water. Tonight the seven of us ate dinner within sight of the Galilee, and that was not the best experience, either. Even when Jim's wife, Pearleen spilt water all over him (she said by accident), that certainly was not it.

We began the day by making a short stop in Tzfat, a city in northern Israel that is a home of Jewish mysticism. It is a beautiful city on a mountain with synagogues mixed among artists' shops, a place where Judaism celebrates great rabbis and their teaching. There had been a feast last night remembering one of them -- dancing and bonfires all over the Galilee.
Then we went to Cana. We went into the church built to commemorate where Jesus turned water into wine. On the last day of a seven day wedding celebration, the family had run out of wine for their guests. Jesus' mother, Mary, told the servants to ask her son what to do. Jesus promptly changed several jars of water into wine (this was not a Baptist gathering). Water to wine. But not the best thing about water for the day.

Next we went to Nazareth, where Jesus grew up. It is also where Mary was told by an angel that she would bear the Son of God. Her answer -- "let it be unto me as you say," is an amazing statement by what had to be a frightened young woman. It is also a reminder of the need for surrender to God for all of us.

In Nazareth there are several places to remind of Mary and Joseph and Jesus. As a father who deeply loves his four sons (and two daughter-in-laws and one wonderful grandson), I was moved to be in Joseph's carpenter shop, to think about Joseph guiding the young hands of Jesus with a plane as he also taught him Jewish Scripture. Oh, that I could be such a father for my children.

The Church of the Annunciation is built over Mary's house where many think the angel appeared to her. There is another church at the town well. Many think that Mary had gone to draw water when she saw the angel. You can still drink from that well, but that was not the best water of the day, either.

After Nazereth, we drove to the Jordan River. Here three of the women in our group, Debra, Terri and Gloria, wanted to be baptized. All three had been baptized before. All three are deeply committed Christian women. I asked each of them to tell the others there on the river bank why they wanted to be baptized again. Their answers all involved wanting to be in the same water where Jesus was baptized and wanting to recommit themselves to a deeper Christian walk.

Debra came first. I held my hand up and started to say, "I baptize you, my sister, Debra..." and I made the mistake of looking her in the eyes. My voice cracked and I had to stop for a moment. Finally, I finished, "in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit".

Then came Terri. Again I made the mistake. Terri looked back at me and I had to choke back tears.

Last came Gloria, my wife. She is the strongest Christian I have ever known. This time a tear slid down my cheek as I baptized her. Then I asked her to put her hand on my head and baptize me. Husband and wife. Brother and sister in Christ.

Christians believe that baptism is the sign of entry into the Church, the family of God. It is a change within that never ends. Water that shows new life. That's the best water of the day. The best water of any day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Counter
Free Counter